Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Business Thoughts part 4

In my previous Business Thoughts posts I discussed my minimum Kickstarter price point for Draftcar (Part 1) followed by potential stretch goals (Part 2) and finally a bit of theoretical marketing (Part 3). Today, I'm going to discuss things I've learned since those post which will affect the final conclusions I came to then. Particularly my previous approach to shipping and the Kickstarter minimum goal. The change to shipping approach will also affect my stretch goals.



Ok, so what changed?


Previously, my best shipping option I could come up with was to set up a shipwire account, and put games in various warehouses around the world. And because there is an initial cost to do so I was going to build that all into the stretch goals as a way to reduce the cost of shipping to backers. This required I charge for shipping after the Kickstarter. And this would still work fine, but, I recently found a better solution. Using Gamesquest, I can bring almost all my shipping down to a very reasonable level. So much so, that I think I can set the backer level to $20 including shipping worldwide. This is huge. But it also affect my minimum goal, as now it has to include shipping, whereas before shipping would be covered later.

What does this do the actual Goal?


Well, it goes up. I haven't figured out mathematically exactly how much it should increase yet, but I have to figure it's at least double, probably a bit more. Since my previous goal would have been set at $5000, loose math says that $15000 would likely be safe. Although it may be a bit lower.

Ok, what does this to do the Stretch Goals?


The Shipwire goal would go away, as that one was purely intended to reduce shipping cost and now would actually increase costs.

The Tournament / Double Exposure goal will still work.

It is very unlikely that there will be any other stretch goals, as everything I can think of adds production costs and/or development time, which delays delivery to backers. I'm not okay with avoidable delays.

Does this affect the Marketing Plan?


No. In fact, I think it may actually lower the barrier of entry. So, win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment